Translate

Saturday, July 5, 2014

I went to the Friday Night Jam last night, and boy do my fingers hurt.

Living in Mexico for 7 months a year without a Bass Guitar means death to my callouses on my fingers.  Bass guitars have the ability to wear off the skin on the tips of your fingers really quickly, and I was able to make it through about 8 songs before they almost started to bleed.

I have played music in various bands for over 45 years, and over time have built up relatively strong fingers.  But not only are they now without callouses, my wrists and fingers start to seize up after these few songs (if I was still in a band, I would use a couple of aspirin to loosen them up).  It doesn't help that I only play at jams on an irregular basis now.  This is because it is difficult to be a member of any band in either Canada or Mexico.  For some reason, bands tend to prefer their members to be available to play ALL year.  What's with that?

Anyway, I am going to rent my apartment in Mexico all year now (instead of only the 7 months that I am physically there) and plan on buying a bass guitar and amplifier this year - and just leave it in the apartment down there for my return.  This will not get me into any bands there either, but will at least keep my fingers in shape so I don't look like a complete idiot when I return to Canada next Spring and start jamming again.

Hey, what the heck, I'm a writer now anyway - not a musician.

No comments:

Post a Comment